1. What is the horsepower and water rate of a theoretically perfect turbine operating at 175 psi and exhausting to a condenser at 28.9 Hg. Steam is supplied at 1000 pounds per hour? ( h1 = 1187), (h2=895), (h3= 10.5).
2. What is the difference between engine horsepower and boiler horsepower?
3. What is galvanic corrosion, and how do you prevent it?
4. What types of couplings are used on a turbine shaft?
5. What two adjustments can be made on a safety valve, and who can do it?
6. A.) How do you know a welder is qualified? B.) How long does the qualification last? C.) Who keeps records and is responsible for testing?
7. Find the BTU content of a coal sample with, c 85%, 02 5%, H 5%, S 1% N 3%, A 1-%?
8. Who tests the coupons sent in by the welders?
9. Name 6 reasons for gradual vacuum loss?
10. Name 4 reasons for a 150,000 LB / hr boiler to only produce 133,000 LB/hr?
11. According to fan laws if speed increases what happens to A. volume, B. pressure, and C. horsepower?
12. Define heat treatment and stress relieving?
13. A boiler fired with coal with a BTU value of 18,500 per lb. burning 1150 lb./hr at 82% efficiency what is the total BTU loss'?
14. State the procedure for blow down tank installation? Explain fully.
15. The company with a spool piece has reduced a turbine with a six-inch inlet to four inches. Who can operate and take charge this turbine in accordance with chapter 1467
16. What is a separating calorimeter and how does it operate?
l 7. List environmental, concerns and limits of a boiler according to the law?
18. Why do you test coal in a power plant?
19. What test can be done for a leak on a pressure vessel?
20. What is a syncroscope and how does it operate? Explain in detail.
Copy & Paste the question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Massengineers website now has out of print, and used engineering books sell. Hard to find classic and collectible steam engineering, power plant, steam boiler books.
Send Exams to RussReeves@massengineers.com