1. How do you find the area of a piston?
2. What is the heating surface of a 4” diameter tube 14 ft long?
3. What material are condenser tubes made of : If fresh water passes through them? If salt water passes through them?
4 How is heat transferred in a boiler?
5. Define absolute pressure.
6. Why are there soot blowers in a coal fired boiler?
7. What can you do with this license? 3rd Engineer.
8. Name the two types of safety valves.
9. Can you have an internal pipe connection on a safety valve?
10. What is grooving in a boiler?
11. What is cold end corrosion and how does it affect a boiler air heater, economizer and stack?
12. How does a Fyrite flue gas analyzer work and what does it tell you?
13. Turn these improper fractions into mixed numbers. 32/8, 19/2, 46/9, 45/8
14. In your opinion, what is the effect of material buildupon the watersides and firesides of the heating surface of a boiler.
15. Explain a reaction turbine
16. A 100 psi boiler is operating with 300F stack temps, is this boiler operating properly?
17. What contributes to the quality of water pumped by a centrifugal pump? Name at least three.
18. What is a simple test for corrosives?
19. Explain how a surface condenser operates, and how it effects turbine operations.
20. What is a quick way to find heating surface of a boiler?
Copy & Paste the question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more exams and job opportunities.