2nd Class Engineer Written Test 10/27/05
1) Define/what is the difference between a safety valve, relief valve, and a safety-relief valve.
2) Describe three methods of sealing a turbine casing and shaft
3) What is static and dynamic balancing?
4) Name LO tests that can be performed without a chemical analysis.
5) Name three requirements of an efficient shaft bearing.
6) Why are water walls used in boilers? In detail.
7) Why does turbine efficiency increase when a condenser is used?
8) You need to order a safety valve for a new boiler what do you need to know?
9) How does the efficiency increase by heating feedwater?
10) Name three ways the shell/casing is allowed to expand/contract on the HP end of a ST.
11) What prevents a turbine from overspending from the steam in the reheater after a trip?
12) What is the max carbon permitted in boiler steel?
13) What does dissolved oxygen do in a boiler, how do you prevent it?
14) How do you wash a turbine?
15) What is axial clearance? How do you adjust a turbine axially?
16) What causes corrosion and pitting? How do you prevent it?
17) How does a GT produce its power?
18) Explain how a Selective Catalytic Reduction system on a combined cycle unit works.
19) On a boiler, the manufacturer’s data plate states that it produces 345 #/hr, the owner requests that a second data plate be installed which states the HP is 8.5, and that it has a BTU input of 356000 BTUs. Which one is correct?
20) Drawing of a GT with a regenerator, state why a regenerator would be used.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Send Exams to RussReeves@massengineers.com