1. Name three ways that expansion and contraction of rotor and casing are handled at the H.P. End of the turbine?
2. How is over speeding of a turbine that has a reheater prevented after the turbine has tripped?
3. A steam heating system is changed from a 2” diameter header to a 6” diameter header. How much more steam can the header handle?
4. On a reaction turbine, which clearances are more crucial axial or radial?
5. What is the first step to setting up a water treatment program?
6. What is the effect of dissolved oxygen on boiler feedwater and how is it removed?
7. What are; Sodium Sulfite? Sodium Hydroxide? And Sodium Chloride?
8. True or false, Definition of a synchroscope? (Discusses phase angle and voltage).
9. In a surface condenser, how can you tell if vacuum loss is due to air infiltration or a dirty condenser?
10. Why does having a condenser improve turbine efficiency?
11. Explain the operation of an air ejector?
12. In a combined cycle gas turbine plant, what major maintenance repair is done to fix compressor fouling?
13. In a combined cycle gas turbine plant, what major operation procedures can be done to prevent compressor fouling?
14. A new boiler in your plant has a tag on it that states it has 65 sq. ft. heating surface and operates at 345 #/hr, it has an “s” stamp and a national board number. The installer attaches a new tag that says the heating surface is 50 sq. ft. and has a Btu input of 300,000 + Btu/hr (not sure of exact number). As chief of this plant, what is real hp and how do you know which tag is correct? (Chapter 146).
15. List 4 turbine trips not generator trips.
16. List 6 causes of turbine vibration?
17. You come across a thrust bearing that is reading 145°F where normally it has been 130°F. what do you do?
18. Explain the operation of a Kingsbury thrust bearing (drawing is optional).
19. Name three ways to determine safety valve capacity?
Copy & Paste the question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Massengineers website now has out of print, and used engineering books sell. Hard to find classic and collectible steam engineering, power plant, steam boiler books.
Send Exams to RussReeves@massengineers.com