1. What are five causes of turbine vibrations?
2. What are six reasons a condenser could lose vacuum?
3. Explain in detail the operation of a mechanical hydraulic governor.
4. Why are there multiple inlet valves to a turbine?
5. What is the difference between bleeder valves and extraction valves?
6. What is an exciter and what is its function?
7. What is a sycroscope?
8. What are some measurable faults in a weld?
9. List some discontinuities in a weld?
10. Describe a double butt weld and a single butt weld.
11. What should be done prior to welding the second side of a double butt weld?
12. How is the metal to be removed from a weld that has failed?
13. Per ASME code what are the requirements for the construction of a high pressure boiler, what are they for a high temperature hot water boiler?
14. A furnace is 10’ x 15’ x 46’, it burns 90gpm of oil that has a heating value of 148,000 BTU/gal. What is the heat release rate of the boiler?
15. A boiler is rated at 150,000 lb/hr but is only producing 130,000 lb/hr. List four reasons why it producing rated capacity while at full load conditions.
16. The steam entering a turbine is at 175 psi and exhausts to a turbine at 28.5 “ Hga. Steam flow is 1000 lbs/hr. What is the turbine hp. and water rate?
H1 H2 HF2 are given
17. Up to what pressure can cast iron be used on a water column?
18. When does stress relieving and radiography need to be performed on a weld?
19. Name all the auxiliaries that are found on a condensing turbine?
20. How many BTUs are in a boiler hp? How many ft.lbs in a hp?
21. A boiler produces 20,000 lbs/hr and has a factor of evaporation of 1.78. What is the developed boiler hp?
22. What valves are found at the outlet of an extraction line?
23. How will you know when a large turbine is warmed up properly?
24. Explain sub cooling in a condenser.
25. A boiler produces 200,000 lbs/hr of steam at 600# - 750˚F. The feed water temperature is 320˚F. What is the boiler hp? Enthalpies are given.
Copy & Paste the question above into the search box to find your answer.