1. What is the breakdown of the heating surface on the exam application between waterfall heating surface and boiler heating surface?
2. What are the factors for PG-70 that are applicable to 4, 5, & 6 boilers?
3. What do those factors represent?
4. What is the safety valve range on 4, 5, & 6 boilers?
5. How do you find boiler horsepower?
6. What are the contractors qualifications for welding repair on a boiler?
7. What is the boiler proper according to the ASME Code?
8. What is the “R” stamp?
9. What are the contractors qualifications for a piping repair on a boiler?
10. What is the ASME symbol for pressure piping?
11. What are the contractors qualifications for plant piping repair work?
12. How would you do an accumulation test?
13. If the highest safety valve is set at 3% above MAWP, what is the accumulation test maximum pressure?
14. If the highest safety valve is set below MAWP, what is the test maximum pressure?
15. Would you do an accumulation test on a boiler with a super heater?
16. What is the range of safety valve settings allowed by code?
17. Is the super heater safety valve capacity considered as boiler relieving capacity?
a.) How do you check axial clearance on a turbine?
19. Where will a turbine bump first when checking axial clearance?
20. Describe a Curtis stage.
21. Describe the pressure and velocity curves for the steam flow through a Curtis stage.
22. How could you tell the difference between a machine with a Curtis stage if it was beside a machine that did not have one?
1. What causes a duplex pump to short stroke?
2. How would you set the valves on a duplex pump?
3. What are 7 losses in a steam turbine?
4. What are the pressure calculations for a Sterling boiler?
5. What are the different types of heads in a Sterling boiler?
6. Why is the mud drum thicker?
7. Why is the mud drum shorter?
8. Describe the water flow in a Sterling boiler.
1. What is exfoliation?
2. Where is it most likely to be found?
3. What causes it?
4. What is a bridge gauge?
5. How is a bridge gauge used?
6. How else could you check radial clearances on a journal bearing?
7. What is a porosity chart?
8. What is a porosity chart used for?
Copy & Paste the question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Massengineers website now has out of print, and used engineering books sell. Hard to find classic and collectible steam engineering, power plant, steam boiler books.
Send Exams to RussReeves@massengineers.com