What is the breakdown of the heating surface on the exam application between
waterfall heating surface and boiler heating surface?
2. What are the factors for PG-70 that are
applicable to 4, 5, & 6 boilers?
3. What do those factors represent?
4. What is the safety valve range on 4, 5, & 6
5. How do you find boiler horsepower?
6. What are the contractors qualifications for
welding repair on a boiler?
7. What is the boiler proper according to the
8. What is the “R” stamp?
9. What are the contractors qualifications for
a piping repair on a boiler?
10. What is the ASME symbol for pressure
11. What are the contractors qualifications
for plant piping repair work?
12. How would you do an accumulation test?
13. If the highest safety valve is set at 3%
above MAWP, what is the accumulation test maximum pressure?
14. If the highest safety valve is set below
MAWP, what is the test maximum pressure?
15. Would you do an accumulation test on a
boiler with a super heater?
16. What is the range of safety valve settings
allowed by code?
17. Is the super heater safety valve capacity
considered as boiler relieving capacity?
a.) How do you check axial clearance on a
19. Where will a turbine bump first when
checking axial clearance?
20. Describe a Curtis stage.
21. Describe the pressure and velocity curves
for the steam flow through a Curtis stage.
22. How could you tell the difference between
a machine with a Curtis stage if it was beside a machine that did not have
What causes a duplex pump to short stroke?
2. How would you set the valves on a duplex
3. What are 7 losses in a steam turbine?
4. What are the pressure calculations for a
5. What are the different types of heads in a
6. Why is the mud drum thicker?
7. Why is the mud drum shorter?
8. Describe the water flow in a Sterling
What is exfoliation?
2. Where is it most likely to be found?
3. What causes it?
4. What is a bridge gauge?
5. How is a bridge gauge used?
6. How else could you check radial clearances
on a journal bearing?
7. What is a porosity chart?
8. What is a porosity chart used for?
Copy & Paste the
question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Massengineers website now has out of print, and used engineering books
sell. Hard to find classic and collectible steam engineering, power plant,
steam boiler books.
Send Exams to