1. What can you do
with a Second Class Engineer license?
a.) What can you do with a Third Class Engineer
2. Can a soot blower valve be installed on the same super
heater steam header as a safety valve?
3. What if any, of the following items can be installed
on 1 inch piping between the water column and drum or gauge glass and
a.) steam gauge, PSI b.) Feed water
regulator c.) Fan damper
b.) Your boilers stack temperature went up, give two
reasons for this?
4. Over how many kilowatts on an electric boiler before
you need a second safety valve?
b.) An electric boiler has (4) 125,000 kilowatt
electrodes. How much safety relieving capacity is needed? Show work.
5. What is the minimum and maximum water temperature when
performing a hydrostatic pressure test on a boiler? Explain each temperature.
6. A Scotch Marine boiler uses Pennsylvania oil with a
BTU content of 20,700/lb. The boiler M.A.W.P. is 200 PSI. The safety valve
relieves 8600 lbs/hr. Is this safety valve capacity enough per the Code?
Boiler uses 500 lb of oil an hour, maximum.
7. What is the minimum diameter of an H.R.T. head with a
manhole installed below the tubes?
a.) What is the minimum diameter of an H.R.T. head
with a manhole installed on top of the boiler, or in the head above the tubes?
8. What is a “backing strip” for? a) Where
would you find it? Explain.
9. How long may a welder’s qualification last? a.) Who
holds or has the documentation on welders, repairs, and alterations?
10. Name 4 types of heads on boilers that don’t need
11. Can you use a muffler on a safety valve? Explain.
12. What causes corrosion and pitting in the boiler?
13. A stoker-fired water wall boiler with a heating
surface of 490 square feet, safety valve has 2 ˝” diameter. (Referring to do
with safety valve capacity.)
14. How do you conduct an over speed test of a turbine?
15. How do you set the valves on a reciprocating pump?
16. How much could a safety valve spring setting be
changed at 300 PSI? a:) How about 200 PSI?
b.) Explain how these changes would have an effect
on the safety valve.
17. Sketch a 200 PSI to 15 PSI reducing station. Show
18. On an H.R.T. boiler, how thin can the shell plating
get before you would have to reduce its pressure?
19. What is lamination? How would you know if
your boiler steel had it?
20. Your boiler has a bag and a blister. What do each
indicate which is more serious? Explain.
Copy & Paste the
question above into the search box to find your answer.