2nd Class Fireman Exam 7/20/99
1. Describe taking a boiler off line with a superheater?
2. What is the height of a column of water with one psi on the
3. What can you do with this license?
4. Describe the precautions you take before, during, and after
you blow down a boiler.
5. Describe the sequence of opening and closing the
quick-opening and slow-opening blow down valves.
6. What does gauge pressure and absolute pressure mean to you?
7. What are three things that an open heater does for us
immediately preceding the pump?
8. What types of accessories are most important on the open
9. What occurs when the water feed pump gets vapor lock?
Describe ways to correct this.
10. Describe the best way to test low water cutout?
11. What are cross T's used for between the water column and
12. What would happen if the gauge glass connections to the
water column became clogged?
13. What is the difference between internally and externally
fired boilers? Show some examples.
14. Describe conditions before opening the top manhole cover.
Give precautions before entering the waterside of a boiler.
15. What steps would you take if your boiler lost flame using
16. Two boilers on line with identical make-up feed water .What
boiler would develop more sludge than the other?
17. Why are water tubes flared?
18. Why is the safety valve important?
19. What does the huddling chamber and blowback ring do in the
20. What are two means of atomizing #6 fuel oil?
Copy & Paste the
question above into the search box to find your answer.
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.