1st Class Firemanís Exam. 10/25/07
- Define sensible and latent heat.
- Why would you blow the tube before cooling down the boiler?
- What harm would result in adding water to a boiler when the water level is too low?
- Excessive carbon deposit on a boiler burner throat ring and diffuser could result in? Multiple choice
- A water tube boiler may be laid up either wet or dry. What should you do if it is to be laid up wet?
- What type of waterside deposit can normally be removed by boiling out a boiler?
- What is a compound gauge?
- What is combustion? What combustible element found in fuel?
- What is an economizer and where is it located?
- What method of heat transfer is most prominent in the following examples?
- Furnace with water walls
- Circulation of water within a boiler
- Absorption by preheater
- Creation of natural draft past a boiler heating surface
- Transfer of heat through tubes of a shell and tube heat exchanger
- Explain how put a properly isolated steam reducing station into service.
- Which of the following fuels would require the least amount of excess air?
#2 oil, #6 oil, Natural Gas, or Pulverized Coal. Multiple choice
- Explain the purpose of a Forced draft fan and an Induced draft fan.
- Explain the procedure to boil out a new boiler.
- During operation, what effect would a partially blocked water connection have on the indicated water level?
- The viscosity of fuel oil is the measurement of the ___ fuel oil? Multiple choice
- The steam and water drum of a water tube boiler is dished to eliminate the need for____? Multiple choice
- Explain how the bourdon tube principle works in the steam gauge.
- Should water walls headers be blown down while the boiler is under load?
- What is the height of a column of water at 1lb pressure
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
Visit www.massengineers.com for more exams and job opportunities.