1. According to Chapter 146, Section 34, at
what pressure is an air receiver required to be inspected?
a. Less than 50 psi
c. 50 psi and greater
b. Greater than 50 psi
d. Sec. 34 not applicable
2. Name 7 turbine trips. (No generator
3. Name 5 reasons for using superheated steam.
4. Name 5 causes of low vacuum in a surface
5. Find factor of evaporation. Given Ws=1000,
a. (1050 - 150 - 32) /
970.3 c. (1050 - 105) / 970.3
b. 1000 (1050 - 150) / (970.3 x
34.5) d. 1000 (1050 - 150 - 32) / 970.3
6. How would you control Oxygen in a boiler
that requires 95% makeup?
7. Name the three forms of stress. Provide
sketches if needed.
8. You are the First Engineer at a plant with
a boiler which has a bag. How
would you repair?
9. Find the rim speed of a turbine 3 feet in
diameter, 6 inch shaft diameter, and
running at 300 rpm.
10. What is oil-ash corrosion, and where is it
11. What is a grid valve, and where is it
12. What is an electrostatic precipitator, and
how does it work?
13. What is babbit and what are two
14. What are the requirements for safety
valves on an electric boiler?
15. What are the “Affinity Laws?”
16. What are the four welding positions a
welder can be qualified for?
17. What limits the superheat you can have in
18. What are the 3 HRT pressure calculations?
Remember it is how the applicants remembered the questions. Note: Exams are not the original content may be different.
more engineering exams and job opportunities.
Massengineers website now has out of print, and used engineering books
sell. Hard to find classic and collectible steam engineering, power plant,
steam boiler books.
Send Exams to